Terms of Service
The following definitions are used unless the context requires otherwise:
- Global Alumni encompasses the Global Alumni environment and includes the globalalumni.org web page and the Global Alumni online learning platform.
- You signifies a person who has enrolled in a course.
- MIT means the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and includes MIT Professional Education.
- MIT Professional Education signifies MIT acting through its MIT Professional Education-Digital Plus Programs.
- Course signifies an MIT course offered by Global Alumni in collaboration with MIT Professional Education and the Global Alumni environment.
- Website refers to the Global Alumni virtual campus and any other website utilized in a course or in collaboration with a course.
- Website content includes all content published on the website, including but not limited to text, exams, videos, images, and other instructional materials provided in relation with the course offered on the website, such as user posts.
- User refers to any person utilizing the website, including the person who has registered for a course under these terms.
- User account means an account created with Global Alumni and regulated under these terms.
- User posts implies all content admitted, published, or distributed on the website by you or other users, including, among others, all forum publications, Wiki pages, notes, questions, comments, videos, and uploaded documents.
MIT Professional Education reserves the right to accept or reject any enrollment in a course.
Registration must be completed within one day of the start date of the course, unless an alternative agreement has been reached with Global Alumni in writing. Keep in mind that once the registration period has closed, cancellations and late enrollments cannot be guaranteed.
You will be redirected to a secure site in order to complete the payment process, which will be administrated by Global Alumni.
After your payment is complete, you will receive an enrollment confirmation email within 48 hours. Please keep this email for your records as it may be necessary for future requests related to this course.
If you are unable to finalize the payment, please contact Global Alumni at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will provide you with the information necessary to complete a bank transfer.
- Once the first installment (65% of the total cost) has been paid, you will be able to receive login credentials for the virtual campus platform as soon as they are issued.
- The second installment (35% of the total cost) must be paid within the first 20 days of the program.
- If confirmation of the second installment is not received, you will not be able to continue with the program, your login credentials will be suspended, and you will no longer have access to the virtual campus platform and its content. In this case, you will not be eligible for a refund of the first paid installment.
- Once the payment confirmation for the first installment is received and the program has started, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- Discounts cannot be applied to split payments. Discounts are only available when the full price is paid in a single transaction.
Cohort Change Policy
- Participants can register a maximum of two times in the same program.
- Participants can request a change of cohort and register for the next cohort by paying an administrative fee of $300 USD.
- Cohort change requests must meet the points below:
- The request to change cohorts and the course payment must be made within the first 21 days of the start of the program. Requests submitted after this date will not be approved.
- Requests must be emailed to: email@example.com
- Exceptions: Cohort change requests that are made due to illness or force majeure will be exempt from the administrative fee of $300 USD, provided that the request is submitted within 21 days from the program start date, sent to the above email address, and includes documentation to justify the request. Once the request has been received, it will be reviewed by the admissions committee.
- Professional Certificates and Blended Professional Certificates only: Once enrollment has been confirmed, participants can change cohorts one time for no additional fee. The request still must be made within 21 days of the course start date.
- Live Virtual Courses only: Once enrollment has been confirmed, the request to change cohorts must be made within the first 4 days of the start of the course. Requests submitted after this date will not be approved.
- Participants who withdraw from the course before the cohort start date will receive a refund. However, the $300 USD administrative fee will not be refunded.
- Cancellation and reimbursement requests must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before the cohort start date. This does not apply to split payments. For more details, please refer to the Split Payment section.
- Professional Certificates and Blended Professional Certificates: The enrollment fee is non-refundable.
Discount codes must be applied at the time of enrollment in order to take effect. Discounts cannot be applied after the enrollment form has been sent. Special offers cannot be combined with additional discounts.
Unless expressly stated otherwise, taxes will not be added to all costs.
In order to access course material, participants will be required to complete a survey about their profile information and satisfaction with the services provided.
To take part in the course you must set up an account and username, and:
- Provide the required accurate and up-to-date information about yourself;
- Maintain and update your information to keep it current;
- Protect your account user information and any other course credentials, not giving them to any other person; and
- Not share under any circumstance the user access information for your account or website with a third party.
You must use the website according to:
- All applicable international, national, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations, including copyright laws; and
- Any law referring to the transmission of technical data exported from your country of residence, and all United States laws regarding the control of exports.
User postings representations and warranties
By submitting or distributing your user postings, you affirm, represent and warrant (1) that you have the necessary rights, licenses, consents and/or permissions to reproduce and publish, the user postings and to authorize MIT PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION and its users to reproduce, modify, publish and otherwise use and distribute your user postings in a manner consistent with the licenses granted by you below, and (2) that neither your submission of your user postings nor the exercise of the licenses granted below will infringe or violate the rights of any third party. You, and not MIT PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION, are solely responsible for your user postings and the consequences of posting or publishing them.
License grant to MIT PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
By submitting or distributing your user postings, you hereby grant to MIT PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, assignable, sub licensable, fully paid-up, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to host, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, modify, distribute, re-distribute, relicense, and otherwise use, make available and exploit your user postings, in whole or in part, in any form and in any media formats and through any media channels (now known or hereafter developed).
License grant to MIT PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
By submitting or distributing your user postings, you hereby grant to each user of the Site a non-exclusive license to access and use your user postings in connection with their use of the Site for their own personal purposes.
When you have successfully completed your course, you will receive a digital certificate of course completion from MIT Professional Education. The certificate of completion is an official document digitally signed and certified by MIT Professional Education. All courses and professional certificates completed with MIT Professional Education will be archived (and confirmed upon request) by MIT Professional Education.
The “MIT Professional Education” names, logos, and seals are registered MIT trademarks. You must not use any of these symbols or any variation of them without prior written consent from MIT. You must not use any of these symbols or any variation of them for commercial purposes, or in any way that suggests or affirms deliberately or indeliberately, or under MIT’s sole discretion, that the impression or appearance of such a use is approved by or related to MIT.
All registered trademarks that are not the property of MIT that appear on the website or through the services available on the website, including registered trademarks that are the property of Global Alumni, are the property of their respective owners.
Nothing in these terms or the website content should be interpreted as a concession by implication, impediment, or otherwise as a license or right to use any registered trademark presented on the website without prior written consent of the owner.
Copyright holders who believe that their material has been violated on the website should contact our designated copyright agent at email@example.com
The notification must include:
- Identification of the copyright work, or, in the case of more than one instance of affected work in the same location, a representative list of said work on the website;
- Identification of the material allegedly infringed or infracted upon, including enough information to locate the material (e.g., URL, IP address, device name);
- Claimant’s contact information (e.g., email address, phone number); and
- A statement in which the claimant indicates that he or she believes the use of material was not authorized by the copyright owner or associated authoritative power.
MIT Professional Education offers a wide array of benefits to participants who complete this course satisfactorily, including:
- Exclusive 15% discounts on short, in-person programs with MIT Professional Education.
- The right to join the MIT Professional Education Alumni LinkedIn group.
- Opportunities to form contacts with other MIT Professional Education alumni.
- Complimentary subscription to the MIT Professional Education newsletter.
- Advance notice from MIT Professional Education about programs, courses, and events.
You agree to defend, release all responsibility, and indemnify MIT and Global Alumni from and against any third-party claim, demand, loss, expense, damage, or cost (including attorney fees and costs) generated by, derived from, or related to your:
- Use of the website;
- Failure to comply with any of these terms; and
- Failure to comply with the copyright or trademark.
- Utilize the website, the content, and the services obtained from or through the website under your own risk;
- Access or download information, materials, or data from the website or any site referenced at your own risk and discretion; and
- Are totally responsible for any damage to your property (including computer systems) or loss of data that occurs from the download or use of said material or information, unless expressly stated otherwise by MIT or Global Alumni.
Links to Other Websites
The website may include hyperlinks to websites managed or controlled by others and:
- Access linked third-party websites at your own risk; and
- MIT and Global Alumni are not responsible for and don’t routinely inspect, approve, review, or reinforce the content or use of any of the products or services that may be offered on other websites.
MIT and Global Alumni:
- Provide the website and any information, content, or available services on or through a website as is and according to availability with no guarantee (express, implict, or otherwise), including, but not limited to, implied commercial warranties, fitness for a particular purpose, availability, and non-infringement, except to the extent that such implied warranties cannot be disclaimed under the applicable law;
- Do not guarantee that the website will function uninterrupted or without error, that the website is free of viruses or other harmful elements, or that the planned course or content will satisfy your needs or expectations;
- Make no guarantee as to the suitability, complexity, or timeliness of the website or any course or content, or that any particular course or content will remain available; and
- Are not responsible for any loss or damage, whether current or temporary, caused by or related to these terms, or due to your use of or inability to use the website, your allocation of the material on the website, or your reliance on material obtained through the website, regardless of whether your complaint is based on the contract, tort, statue, or other law; and
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, are not liable for any consequential, indirect punitive, special, exemplary, or incidental damages, whether foreseeable or unforeseeable, and whether or not they were negligent or at fault (including, but not limited to, defamation claims, errors, loss of profits, loss of data, or interruptions in the availability of information).
Global Alumni may assign or take control of any right or obligation under these terms. You may not transfer or deal with your rights or obligations under these terms or try to do so.
These terms contain the full contract between you and Global Alumni regarding the matter at hand. These terms present the only conduit on which you may rely and supersede all previous conduits and agreements between Global Alumni and yourself regarding the courses and the subject matter of these terms.
Failure to execute or any delay in exercising a right, power, or recourse under these terms serves as a waivering of said rights. A simple or partial execution of any right, power, or recourse does not prevent the exercise of that or any other right, power, or recourse. A waiver is not valid or binding unless it is in writing.
The illegality, invalidity, or enforceabilty of any provision in these terms under any law will not affect the legality, validity, or enforceability of said provision under any other law or the legality, validity, or enforceability of any other provision.
Global Alumni reserves the right to modify these terms at any time without prior notification. Any change will be effective immediately from the time of publication on the website. Accessing the website after any change has been made will constitute your consent to the modified terms going forward.
MIT is a third-party beneficiary of these terms and each one may apply these terms directly as long as it is in their interest.
Applicable Legislation and Jurisdiction
This agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Florida, in the United States of America, and you thereby agree to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Florida.
Working together is a key factor for success. We strongly encourage you to always try to collaborate and work in teams, and to share your ideas and questions freely with the rest of the participants. You will see that this is in your best interest. To do so, it is very important to accept and comply with a few basic behavioral rules that allow learning to develop in an environment of full mutual trust.
When participating in Forums, Assignments, Webinars and communicating with Facilitators and Support teams, you are expected to remember the following rules:
- Academic Integrity: You are subject to the to the Conditions of Enrollment, and to the Academic Integrity policy which clearly defines what constitutes fraud, such as plagiarism and other forms of academic misconduct.
- Responsibility: As a participant you are responsible for reading all important announcements that are shared via the only campus or via email.
- Be polite and respectful: Participants come from different backgrounds and are in different stages of their careers. Everyone should strive to create a supportive and encouraging community.
- Be constructive: In any collaborations or exchanges, please provide non-biased, helpful feedback. Criticism must be constructive, well-meaning, and well-articulated. Rants directed at any other contributor are simply unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- Participate: This is a shared learning environment. For the maximum benefit to all, everyone must contribute.
- Help Others: You may have more experience with online discussion forums than the person next to you.
- Be Patient: Read everything in the discussion thread before replying. This will help you avoid repeating something someone else has already contributed.
- Be Brief: Avoid overly wordy sentences or paragraphs.
- Use Proper Writing Style: Correct spelling, grammatical construction, and sentence structure are expected in every other writing activity associated with scholarship and academic engagement.
- Respect Diversity: It is an ethnically rich and diverse, multi-cultural world in which we live. Do not use language that is—or that could be construed to be—offensive toward others.
- Formatting: Beware the electronic footprint you leave behind. Using bold upper-case letters is bad form and may lead to misinterpretations.
Support, feedback, suggestions and improvements
If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback regarding the program, please follow the process below:
- Contact your Learning Facilitator or E-learning support department.
- For content-related enquiries, please follow these steps to contact your Facilitator through the online platform:
- Go to “Inbox”.
- Click on “Compose a new message”.
- In the field “Course”, select your program.
- In the field “To”, type your facilitator’s name or find him/her under the tag “teachers”.
- Write your message and subject.
- If you wish, you can add an attachment.
- Click on “Send”.
- All e-mails will be answered within 24 hours.
- If you happen to experience any issues or would like to give us some feedback about the program:
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact details of the E-Learning Department can also be found on the Homepage of your online platform, under the section “Help”.
- All e-mails will be answered within 24 hours.
If you believe someone is failing to comply with this agreement, please contact E-Learning support with your concerns. You are accountable for having read and agreed to this code of conduct. If any breach in this code of conduct is identified, a case will be opened to determine participants continuity in the program.